For the longest time there was little doubt that Apple had been the top device provider in the K-12 market with iPads. As technology progresses, Tech Defenders has seen a growing trend with schools adopting 1:1 Chromebook deployments. Models such as the Dell Chromebook 11, Lenovo N21, and the Acer C720 have become a staple for many schools.
Chromebook Benefits Include:
- Inexpensive to purchase and easy to repair
- Multi-user support that hasn't been seen before
- Full administrator control that allows for secure work and easy management
- Productivity powerhouses - through the Google drive, students can collaborate easily.
- Physical keyboards are built-in, providing students the necessary tools to get both more practice and more actual work done at no additional cost to schools
These are just some of the benefits we have observed for schools deploying Chromebooks. No device is inferior when placed in the hands of students. A world of information is available to them after just a few keystrokes. The best thing a district can do is pilot different devices and casing options to see what works best for their unique deployment.
Any technology integration allows for students to learn easier and better prepare for their future. While Chromebooks and iPads are an awesome solution to student computing needs, they are both prone to breaks. In fact, Tech Defenders has seen a nearly identical break rate by students using iPads and Chromebooks!