It is no doubt that we are at the cutting edge of modern technology. While that is exciting, it also means that our technology quickly becomes outdated. As manufacturers release new technology into the market, their older models become less functional in comparison. If you look on a larger scale, they slowly start to release less software updates until the device hits end of life. Some manufacturers project their end of life schedule for devices, to allow schools and consumers to better plan for the future.
So where do your devices stand?
Google Chromebooks: Google recently announced that end of life dates will be “at least a minimum of 5 years from launch of the hardware” You can find the information below directly from Google's Chrome Device End of Life Policy. After the dates below, they no longer put out updates for the devices. The best time to convert these aged devices into working capital is a year or two before they hit end of life, to ensure you get your maximum return on them.
- Chromebook C200 May 2019
- Lenovo N21 March 2020
- Acer C720 November 2018
- Samsung Chromebook 1 2017
- Dell Chromebook 11 January 2019
Apple iPads: while the life span of an iPad isn’t explicitly stated, they do age with time and you will definitely notice the difference between newer models. Apple is releasing a new iPad about every year based on their product launches. Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad 2 at a March 2011 conference, making it almost 5 full years old now. While still functional, technology in iPads has improved significantly if you compare the iPad 2 to devices like the iPad Air 2.
What is Tech Defenders doing to serve you?
Tech Defenders is well aware of aging technology, and through our services and relationship management we can build you a customized solution!
- Buyback: Tech Defenders offers buyback protection on all your devices, working or not. Convert your unwanted or aged devices to working capital quickly and efficiently. We'll even buy iCloud locked devices!
- Tracking aged devices: Our mobile device repair management software (MDRM), can track average device age across your entire inventory. Easily request a quote on all devices over a certain age or devices that have been marked unrepairable. Convert your aged and damaged inventory into capital for technology upgrades.
- If you’re curious about the life-span of your particular device, Tech Defenders can give you inside knowledge based on experience in working with other school districts!
Tech Defenders is a dedicated provider of K-12 educational solutions in the mobile device repair, protection, and insurance industries. Offering end-to-end, life cycle solutions including mobile device insurance, repair, casing, buyback, as well as consulting! We service educational accounts both large and small, throughout the entire United States. Tech Defenders is total protection for your mobile technology.